Thursday, December 6, 2012
Thursday, November 15, 2012
(Here is the link of it on my Pinterest page: http://pinterest.com/pin/30469734949878641/; When it's clicked on, it takes me to Tumblr, so I don't know where it is originally from!)
Anyway, once I saw it, I knew that my 2nd graders were capable of creating something similar. We started by talking about Fall trees & what they look like. Then students used a pencil & drew a "Y" tree on their paper. I told them to make sure the branches went all the way to the edge of their paper so they could switch watercolors once we were painting.
Once the students drew the trees with pencils, we went over it with black glue (Just used the old glue bottles left over from last year, & a half glue/half black tempera mix).
The green paper in the middle is for the students to test their glue bottles. We found once we added the glue, it barely had to be open for the glue to come out. And if it was open all the way, watch out! Glue mess! :) They did a great job though. I reminded them to make sure their glue bottle was touching their paper; "Use the glue bottle like a marker & color over your pencil lines" It also worked well to give the trees texture.
Once it was dry, we used watercolors to fill space behind the branches at the top of their trees.
We talked about creating new colors by blending them on their paper & not in the paint.
These students are in the beginning stages of painting at the top.
Once the students painted the top background of their trees, we focused on the background of the trunk. We talked about "tye dying" their paper with watercolors - wet the background with water first, then go over it with watercolors to give the tye dye effect.
Here are some of our final trees:
Students were able to chose their own colors & what they wanted to use.
I'm always amazed how I can give the exact same set of directions to everyone & they can come up with something completely different!
Hope everyone enjoys!
Monday, September 17, 2012
Saturday, September 15, 2012
I had precut shapes for one of the students as they are not able to use scissors.
The other student tried their hand at cutting on their own. Pretty good job. :)
Tuesday, September 11, 2012
Since the students only had one minute at each table, they worked quiet (without being told!) on their own. After the first minute, they realized just how fast a minute flies by!
Students had the choice to make many dots....
Or just one large dot. They had to fill the space.
I told them to make & mark & see where it would take them. They were very creative!
Students also had the choice to make a "frame" around their art, like Vashti's teacher did in The Dot.
Some students had never used oil pastels before, so some of experimented with mixing colors.
Other students came up with an idea for their dot.
Hope everyone enjoys our dots!