I am finally getting around to posting about my 4th grade students last year. They created the most amazing pointillism murals! I was absolutely astounded by their dedication to the mural & how amazing they turned out!
Sometimes while teaching, I forget to take pictures of the process as we go, so I'll describe it as best I can!
First the students learned about Georges Seurat & pointillism. I made up a simple practice sheet for them to try tempera cakes making dots, combining colors, & experimenting.
Then, I took a Seurat painting, printed it off the computer, cut it up into 28 pieces. Each piece was about 2" by 2.5". I laminated all the pieces & made myself a map of the pieces so I could remember where each students' piece went in the puzzle. I had 4 rows going across & 7 columns going down. Once I had my map, I numbered the back of the laminated pieces & gave one piece per child. (Students who I knew would work hard, or that really understood the concept, were given two pieces to work on.) I also had the students use a Sharpie to write their names on the back & stressed how important it was for them not to lose their puzzle piece!
Once each child had their piece, they were given a white, sturdy (I didn't have watercolor paper) piece of paper to re-draw their image larger. We talked about scale & how to achieve drawing larger. This took 1 class period. Once the class had drawn out their part of the puzzle, we got into groups to line up our artwork to see if it matched our neighbor's artwork. If it didn't line up, the students did a little erasing & matching to get it close as possible. So, I had a group of students with pieces 1-7, 8-14, 15-21, & 22-28. This was one class period. Then we worked in groups based on columns going up and down. So the column groups were 1/8/15/22, 2/9/16/23, 3/10/17/24, 4/11/18/25, 5/12/19/26, 6/13/20/27, & 7/14/21/28. This also took one whole class.
Once everything lined up, we started creating our dots on our artwork. The first week, I only gave them red, yellow, & blue tempera cakes to create their dots. They got pretty good at making colors by only using the primary colors! Then, the next week I gave them those colors plus green, black, & white.
I found a great video on Youtube to teach tints, shades, & tones:
This REALLY helped them create all the colors they needed!
Once completed, I was amazed at how well they did!
You can see up close, the work is messy.
The students created brown all on their own.
I told them to focus more on the puzzle piece than their artwork they were painting.
Here is the final recreation of A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte
And here is Bathers at Asnières
Students had worries if their colors would match up to their neighbor's colors. I kept reminding them if they kept their eyes on their puzzle pieces, they should come out similar. I wasn't worried if the colors matched up... I think they turned out AMAZING!!!